Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Narrative

It all began with looking at this painting I have admired for years, I began to think about the four characters that appeared in Nighthawk by Edward Hopper and was immediately curious about the man with his back to me. One thing that is fairly obvious is that he is alone, his body language tells me hes not in a good mood and the choice of clothes give the feeling of mystery.
I knew he was the person I was going to write my story about. After learning about the history of this painting It lead me to write a story in particular about what was happening at that point in time, in America and the war, the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
I also read that it gave the city of sense of gloominess, defeat and anxiety. The people in the painting almost look as if they are mourning a loss. This gave me the ideas and so I began to write about that man in the suit inside the bar at night..
" He was torn apart, he had just lost his good man in the war, why was he there and not with his friend, why did he survive..all these thoughts keep him up late at night, normally going to the bar for a few drinks to numb the pain..those few drinks, every night..in the city of Manhattan, a short walk from his home, but was it home? or was it the bar that gave him that sort of comfort that home did. Was it the extremely bright, unnatural light above, was it really that comforting, it almost feels as if its too much..like almost forcing the comfort which is doing the opposite almost...or is it becouse this is a chance to see people doing what they normally do in a bar, converse, drink, perhaps find a companion, but most of the time its becouse the drink keeps him warm at night, the bar gives him a reason to walk out of his home every day, he knows his going too far but he keeps it cool, life can only go one way..down..down down like a spiral, sucked down like water forced down the drain. He knows its too late and im not talking about the time, he's hooked, he knows there's no escape, hes just a fish drinking in a fish tank, all glass around him, memory shortly fading,trapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment