Saturday, May 9, 2009

Progression with Design for "Room & Narrative"

After we came back from the holidays we did not have a tutorial and so I progressed with my work, I did not make final drawings nor worked on my model although I had already established the materials I was going to use for my building, I had woked out the mood of my character and thought hard on how to reflect it in my building, I knew it was going to be hard...but I managed to some how come up with something, a collection of moods, the next step was how to actually show them as Architectonic...now what was that term? According to my research...Architectonic is a formation, a style, the science of Architecture, construction..but what is it really? We are told to write a narrative about something rather, then design a building in regards to that narrative, like asking a client what they want (hearing their stories) then designing according to what they want, but not in a literal sense but more of an analytical sense, using walls and windows and compositions of rooms and positioning and sizes of windows and doors...every line must have a purpose and has to relate to the story, does it make sense? yes. Is it hard? yes, becouse Ive never thought of this before, my background in TAFE never gave me this feeling of control over a design, it never gave me the opportunity to think analytical about buildings, just logical and what I mean by that is..I design a building according to the clients brief, boundaries and meter square Im allowed to draw in. I am thankful to be in a course that I am finally developing creative thoughts outside the box that challenges me and pushes me to think way beyond limits Id never thought I could before, its early days...There is Art in Architecture, I am realizing it, when I was once disappointed in my earlier studies thinking that the Art was lost.
Developing ideas is hard work, my idea in my Narrative is that a man has lost his best friend in the war and he mourns and is falling into deep depression, he goes to this bar which later becomes more of his home, becouse hes anxiety keeps him from sleep, he sits at the bar at night, wasting his life away, becoming an alcoholic. Now how do I design a house for an alcoholic who is depressed and alone? I thought of it all, the walls would be tall, the room would be boxy almost like they would crush him. I thought of the feeling of been trapped drinking like a fish, a room with glass all around it, like the people in the paintings with no escape like a fish tank. The lack of doors unable to escape this monstrosity talking over his life. The uneven floor giving a sense of been unstable, like the foundations beneaf his feet, is crumbling, almost as if hes falling down or been sucked down by the evil forces.
The room would be almost like a box, and all around from top to bottom would be glass, but the bottom there would be floors about half a meter high, almost "stage like" reason why i want this is becouse looking at the painting is almost like im watching a play, as the characters are showing so much expression in their faces..
below I wanted the structure to be visible from the outside and not covered by walls, the floor must be square but constantly changing direction, going around and around almost like a drain, these would be a set of stairs or more of a ramp that goes down, that ends at the bottom, the door will be below at the end of this tunnel like space.. the end of the tunnel could mean the end of his life or the breakthrough as in "hit rock bottom before then gets up and finally can stand on his own legs and walk away form this... its a journey of life...

No comments:

Post a Comment